Monday, May 29, 2017

Mosaics on Terra Cotta Pots

I made pots like these with four and five year olds last week. Now, in all honesty, the pictured pots were made by me and the ones done by the children are slightly lumpier, but charming nonetheless. For embellishments we used the tiles pictured that I bought in 12 inch sheets at Home Depot. I had snipped them in half with glass cutters. We also used more dimensional glass pieces that you can pick up at a dollar store that are intended for use in the bottom of flower vases. We adhered the pieces to the pots with polymer-fortified, thin-set mortar. It comes in powder form and I had some left over from when we put in a new back splash in the kitchen. It's a powder that you simply mix with some water until you have the consitency of peanut butter. The children applied this to the back of the embellishments and stuck them to their pots. After 24 hours of drytime time, I applied grout to the pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment